If you would like to link this shrine, feel free to use one of the following buttons and direct it to https://rose.oubliette.nu. Please do not direct link buttons.
If you own a site with The Legend of Dragoon, solitary warrior women, women on a mission or female survivors as its focus and would like to affiliate, please message me!
Heaven’s Requiem is Larissa’s shrine to Lenneth from Valkyrie Profile. Like Rose, Lenneth is fully focused on her role at first; frozen in time, her mysterious past is unravelled bit by bit. The retrieving of her past memories and her own humanity are crucial elements of the story, and she eventually finds strength in her human side believed to be lost. If wrongly-labelled “death goddesses” who transcend their own role intrigue you, do pay this shrine a visit!
Lux Perpetua is Robin’s shrine to Dove from Hawk & Dove. Like Rose, Dove is a powerful lead with a lot of responsibility on her shoulders and more than one role to play. Her powers were entrusted to her to carry on a legacy, and manifest when she transforms. Visit this shrine for one more woman who wields powers to serve a higher purpose!
Shrines Present and Past
There used to be many shrines to the game in the past. Very few are still standing.
Astral Drain, perhaps the only shrine to remain from that era, is dedicated to Rose — and it’s a marvel of a shrine, truly. The dry snark that pervades it at times makes me think I’m in Rose’s head. You’ve absolutely got to see its (spoiler-free) personality page. (Do not access any section past “Site” if you wish to avoid spoilers.)
The following is a selection of shrines no longer active, but that can be visited through the Wayback Machine. You may have to close the Wayback archive bar to see the full navigation of the few layouts that are still intact. The selection is based on the availability of archived content and content quality. Favourites are marked with a ❤.
- Dark Rose — Rose ❤
- Dark Tears — Rose
- Nothing but Sorrow — Rose
- Snowater — Shana
- Winter Light — Shana
- Sage — Albert
- Diamond Dust — Meru
- Ice Dancer — Meru
- Icy Dreams — Meru
- Moonlight — Miranda
- Moon Serenade — Shirley (spoilers)
- Inception — Dragoons (spoilers) ❤
- Silveron — Lloyd
- Black Lightning — Doel
Other Sites and Resources
A compilation of links neither shrines nor discussions (see below) that may be of interest to you!
- legendofdragoon.org — fansite and community hub since 2019. One of its projects aims to create a comprehensive archive of all resources pertaining to the game, assets, bonus material or otherwise. Of note are the baffingly high-resolution images; a full script dump; and an ongoing translation of the Japanese guidebook. The latter contains, among other things, a variety of highly interesting character details, some of which I had not previously encountered in any form (e.g. lesser-known facts, information on Dragoons; both contain spoilers). If you’re interested in helping out in any capacity, the community is always looking for volunteers.
- The Legend of Dragoon Reddit — active message board community.
- The Legend of Dragoon Discord Server — active instant messaging community.
- Famitsu interview — a translation originally hosted at rpgfan.com, now archived.
- PSone Classic release blog post — a short retrospect by Shuhei Yoshida, the game’s producer.
- LODModS — a set of mods that can be applied to the game, e.g. a higher item limit, a full game script revision, Japanese voiceovers. Not yet included is the Dragoon Modifier.
- Remastered 4K FMVs by Aeon (spoilers)
- Remastered 4K FMVs by Upscale (spoilers)
I have truly enjoyed crawling all the fandom content for the game on Tumblr even though I was four years “late” to all the posts (just as I had missed out on all the shrines of old). This shrine wouldn’t be what it is had I not seen all that passion first-hand, and several texts and discussions have influenced me and magnified my appreciation for the game. Here’s a shoutout to all of you! ❤
The following links lead to posts and discussions around the web, mostly Tumblr, that I consider particularly interesting. Note that pretty much all of them contain spoilers.
- In defense of LoD — a personal (ineloquent) rant in response to the average review; Rose- and Miranda-centric.
- LoD’s lasting appeal
- LoD sequels (a rant)
- Dragon theory
- Endiness’ moon myths
- The Moon Child’s influence
- On Rose
- Rose’s narrative arc
- On “If You Still Believe”
- Zieg’s strength
- Rose and Zieg’s dynamic
- On Damia
- In defense of Shana
- In defense of Shana 2
- Shana’s Dragoon armour
- On Dart and Shana (follow-up)
- Falling in love again
- On Miranda (follow-up)
- 18/30 Days of LoD limericks
- Claranon Plays LoD — a brilliant liveblog with insightful commentary, a great quote selection that shows the game’s localization at its
worstfinest, and hilarious dynamic JRPG predictions. Beautifully worded thoughts on Rose can be found in part nine, part ten and part twelve.
For more posts, including fan creations not listed in the media section, see my Tumblr tag.